Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Letter "Aa" Lapbook

Today I worked with Sofia on the letter “Aa”. We opened up our learning time with prayer and scripture reading from Proverbs 31 and then began our lesson on the letter “Aa”. I found that opening up in prayer and then reading a couple of verses from God’s word really prepared Sofia for learning. She was bouncing all over the place until I mentioned that we were going to pray and then read God’s word. She immediately stopped wiggling in her chair and became focused completely on mommy! It is such a blessing to see her, at just three years of age, showing reverence for God’s word.

For today’s lesson we made a very neat lapbook for the letter “Aa”. I first went over with her the “big A” and the “little a” and all the sounds that the letter “Aa” could make. I bought a book from Target by “Hooked on Phonics” that includes flash cards for each letter, and that seemed to help Sofia better recognize which letter mommy was talking about.

The supplies I used:

One filing folder

Origami Paper for the letter “Aa” cutouts

Construction Paper

Printable handouts from online and from the Hooked on Phonics workbook

Glue

Scissors

Crayons/Markers


The front cover of Sofia's "Aa" Lapbook

"Aa" is for "Acorn"

She circled all of the letter "Aa's" on the page

She wrote the letter "Aa" all by herself!

You can certainly use whatever you have on hand. As we go throughout our day today I will have Sofia look at labels on food boxes and in books and show me all of the letter “Aa’s” she can find. Tonight as I prepare supper for my family, Sofia will be able to help me find all of the letter “Aa’s” on the ingredients that I use to prepare our meal. Homeschooling is a 24/7, 365 days a year instruction. You determine how exciting and interesting each lesson will be for your child. Thoughtful preparation, age appropriate materials, lots of grace and patience can make for a wonderful experience for mommy and child/children.

Serving God and My Family,

Crystal (SAHM) <><

1 comment:

  1. Your lap books are amazing!

    Thank you so much for the video...I am passing it along~!

    ReplyDelete